[Sponsored Review]: New Essential Haircare + Current Hair Routine

Green Tea or Coffee? Size 6 or 7? It's okay there is always green tea latte and size 6.5. However, we don't always have the third option, like



The problem is my roots/scalp is oily by the end of the day but my ends are too dry to use a 'deep' cleansing shampoo daily. So I'm constantly choosing between oily scalp or dry ends. Hands up if you're facing the same issue! HELLO COMRADES! :):)


Thankfully, Essential saw what we girls (and guys) are battling and they came up with TWO haircare range meant for COMBINATION HAIR. 

Yup you saw that right - COMBINATION HAIR.


Combination hair is where hair condition is not uniform from root to tip. People with combination hair usually have oily roots and dry ends. We are not familiar with this term because no other haircare brand has talked about it but this thing is real.


Essential is a popular haircare brand from Japan and I'm confident to say it has won the hearts of many here.

essential new series review

Essential now comes in 4 variants:
1. Nourishing Breakage Defense (orange) – for weak & damaged hair
2. Moisturizing Frizz Free (pink) – for dull & rough hair
3. Light Finish Volumizing (yellow) – for flat and limp hair *suitable for combination hair*
4. Deep Cleansing Care (blue) – for oily scalp & dry ends *suitable for combination hair*


All of which are repackaged and reformulated; I have been using a couple of them and things are looking good!


So which range should you choose?
This table here can help you decide! Very easy.



So let's get started on my current haircare routine and reviews of Essential goodness I was sent.



kao essential review

Essential



Step 1: Cleanse

I wash my hair daily most of the time unless I stay home the whole day. As long as I'm not out of my door, I'm clean lol. I still shower as per normal by the way. The shampoo I'm currently using is:


Essential Light Finish Volumising Shampoo review

Essential Light Finish Volumising Shampoo

What: Light finish volumising shampoo
For: Combination hair
Consistency: Runny
Smell: Sweet
Size: 200 mL/750 mL
Made in: Japan
Price: $4.50/$11.50
Where to get: Leading supermarkets, hypermarkets, western pharmacies and personal care stores
Get your free sample here




Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Alcohol, Laureth-4 Carboxylic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Lauryl Hydroxysultaine, Isodecyl Glyceryl Ether, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Alcohol, Cocamide






Promises:

1. Repair damaged hair surface from root to tip
2. Balance oiliness of roots and dryness of ends





How to use:

1. Wet hair, squeeze adequate amount on your palm.
2. Lather 
3. Massage into hair and scalp
4. Rinse off



Packaging


Available in both 200 mL and 750 mL. 200 mL comes in a snap-bottle whereas 750 mL comes in a pump bottle. Nothing to love or hate!



Stars: ★





Cleansing properties


Essentials light finish volumising shampoo does a wonderful job in keeping my hair clean and oil-free after a long day. I will wake up with super itchy scalp in the past if I did not wash my hair for a day.:( However, I don't experience anything like that anymore ever since I switched to this shampoo. Awesome, isn't it!



Stars: ★





Smooth hair


With microfine All Smooth Essence incorporated in the formula, the shampoo promises smooth tresses, wet or dry. It is not a woah my hair is so silky smooth I don't need anything else anymore for me. I am not particularly bothered by this though, continue to read to find out why!



Stars: ★★.5





Smell


It is refreshing to pick up a different scent from essential products. Not the usual overpowering sweet scent. It is less powdery and smells lighter, still great on your hair but not as strong as the old one.



Stars: ★★.5





Consistency


Consistency of Kao Essential light volumising shampoo review
Consistency of Kao Essential light volumising shampoo


Very runny and lathers well. I love the consistency because it is so light! In my opinion, shampoos should make you feel 'burden-free', not 'weigh-down',




Stars: ★





Volumising effect

Did not notice any volumising effect/airy effects as claimed.




Stars: -





The Verdict

Essentials light volumising shampoo takes care of my scalp and ends - BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! It is hard to find something that suits one with two problems (oily scalp, dry ends) and I would say Essential did a remarkable job. Plus 1. does not irritate my scalp, 2. not too drying for my ends (still a tiny tiny bit) and 3. keeps my scalp/roots oil-free after a long day. Hence, Light finish volumising shampoo is combination-hair approved, by me that is! :D


Rating: 9/10
REPURCHASING 


If you are looking for a new shampoo or feel like your current one is not working very well for you, Time to switch to the NEW Essential.

If you are keen to try, hop over to their facebook page to get a free trial sent to you!!



Step 2: Treat

Treating your hair after a wash is essential. It restores the moisture stripped off your hair from cleaning, which is inevitable, and repairs the damage you have done from chemical treatments like rebonding, perm or colour or even daily UV damage.

I will then reach for a conditioner on a day to day basis to restore some moisture and keep my locks nice and healthy.

Conditioner

Essential Light Finish Volumising Conditioner review

Essential Light Finish Volumising Conditioner

What: Light finish volumising conditioner
For: Combination hair
Consistency: Cream, light
Smell: Sweet
Size: 200 mL/750 mL
Made in: Japan
Price: $4.50/$11.50
Where to get: Leading supermarkets, hypermarkets, western pharmacies and personal care stores
Get your free sample here



Ingredients:
-



How to use:

1. After shampooing, squeeze out as much water as possible.
2. Apply a generous amount of conditioner from your ends up, leaving the roots of your hair the last. 3. Leave it on for 5 mins or so.
4. Rinse off with cold(optional) water.




Packaging


Similar to the shampoo




Stars: ★





Consistency


Thicker than the shampoo but still very light in general.




Stars: ★




Smell

Similar to the shampoo




Stars: ★★.5☆ (4.5/5)





Effect

Smoother hair immediately after rinsing off. It is a daily care product so you will not get the commercial hair with this.




Stars: ★★.5☆ (4.5/5)





The verdict

Great for day to day maintenance and this suits my hair well. I pair this with Essential light finish volumising shampoo and everything is solved, including the tiny tiny dryness I feel right after shampooing. It is quick and very convenient to use.

Rating: 8.5/10




On days I feel like pampering my hair a little more but do not have a lot of time, I would opt for my trusty treatment.


Treatment

kao essential anti frizz treatment review

Essential Moisturising Frizz-free Treatment

What: Treatment
For: Frizzy hair
Consistency: Cream
Smell: Sweet
Size: 180 mL
Made in: Japan
Price: (not given, will check it out for you guys!)
Where to get: Leading supermarkets, hypermarkets, western pharmacies and personal care stores




 Ingredients:
-




Promises:

1. Deeply moisturised hair in 30 seconds.




 How I use it:


1. After shampooing, squeeze out as much water as possible.
2. Apply a generous amount of treatment from your ends up, leaving hair near your roots the last.
3. Leave it on for 30 secs! (I leave it for a couple of mins)
4. Rinse off with cold(optional) water. 






Packaging


Same old pink squeeze tube but prettier. Squeeze tube > tub, any day.




Stars: ★




Smell



Similar to the light finish range.





Stars: ★★.5☆ (4.5/5)




Consistency


Thicker but not difficult to slather on. It doesn't drip all over as well, provided you squeeze out the additional water.




Stars: ★★.5☆ (4.5/5)





Fast absorption


I will apply this, leave it while I wash my body and face then rinse it off. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes but I really feel a difference after that.




Stars: ★





Effect


Really manageable and smooth hair after rinsing!




Stars: ★





The verdict 

Go try it. Enough said.



Rating: 10/10


Sometimes each strand seems to have a life on its own - poking out in all directions. Dull, unmanageable and sad.





This is when I will do a intensive treatment mask.




Intensive Treatment Mask


Essential Moisturising Frizz-free Hair Mask review
Note, wrong hair mask 

Essential Moisturising Frizz-free Hair Mask

What: Hair Mask
For: Frizzy hair
Consistency: Rich cream
Smell: Sweet
Size: 200 mL
Made in: Japan
Price: $9.90
Where to get: Leading supermarkets, hypermarkets, western pharmacies and personal care stores



 Ingredients:
-


Promises:

1. 7 days manageable hair in just one use



 How I use it:


1. After shampooing, squeeze out as much water as possible.
2. Apply a generous amount of treatment from your ends up, leaving hair near your roots the last.
3. Leave it on for 15 minutes* or slightly longer if you wish. 
4. Rinse off with cold(optional) water. 
*I put my hair up in a bun/shower cap





Packaging


Tub, which is not my favourite thing because the product always get trapped under my nails.




Stars: ★




Smell


Similar to the light finish range.




Stars: ★★.5☆ (4.5/5)




Consistency


Thick. Not to difficult to work with. I advice you to keep it off your back because the rich cream might irritate your skin or give you back acne.




Stars: ★





Effect

best frizz treatment review


See it for yourself. There is still some frizz here and there but definitely less than before.




Stars: ★





7 day manageable hair


Hair is smoother, even without any leave-on treatment. Whether the effect is from this or the previous two options I've introduced, I am not entirely sure.




Stars: ★






The verdict 

Not bad for frizz management.

Rating: 8.5/10




Here comes the million dollar question: WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THE OPTIONS?


conditioner treatment hair mask essential kao review


Consistency of conditioner and treatment is very similar while it is thicker for mask. Effect wise I would say it is mask > treatment > conditioner.



My personal favourite is the treatment as it is easy to use, does not need all the time in the world to do some magic to your hair and it is really affordable. Hmm actually essential products are always pocket-friendly, don't you think so?


jjoyis jie lin hair how to have shiny hair


I typically use this around 3-4 times per week and I replaced my conditioner with it after my perm/colouring. Well, it works for me! *flips hair* Then once every two weeks or so I will treat myself to a more intensive mask.




Step 3. Post-treatment

Essential range review

I will use Essential Sleeping Treatment Mask (click link for full review) or L'oreal Mystic Oil, sleeping treatment mask at night and oil in the morning, if I'm not too lazy. Nowadays I don't use anything because the treatment step leaves my hair so soft and nice. My Sis loves them too, especially the Essential sleeping treatment mask. We finished it up quite some time ago.


I hardly style my hair, I don't even comb it very often, so I don't use styling products.


***



*took the wrong mask for this photo because I've too many Essential products~*



Overall, the new Essential did not disappoint. 
Remember to go redeem the free shampoo and conditioner from their facebook page.
No sample of the treatment so you are interested, you can purchase it. 


Great hair starts with a switch! 
~ Thanks for reading ~


Products sent from Kao Essential via TheSampleStore. However, all opinions are my own


0 Comments