Recipe: Homemade Dalgona coffee (Whipped coffee)

Hi there, it's Jovee checking in.

How are you coping with the circuit breaker implementations rolled out last week?

I have been mad busy at work - all the preparation and shift of work online, the do's and don'ts of this circuit breaker and also adjustment to stay home all day every day. So sorry for the late/lack of updates and new posts recently as Joy and I were both very caught up with essentially everything.

I am so used to spending life outside of home, I believe it is the same for all my family members as well. Now that we have to stay at home the whole day, it is really a big change. 

The first few days were especially difficult. I caught myself checking the fridge often and walking around the house aimlessly every now and then, I was bored. It is extremely easy for this stay-home-month to become very unproductive. I had come out with a list of to-dos to effectively use the time I have to learn/upgrade myself as well as to start on the things I've always been wanting to try. Might share more about how I go about my days.

Have been seeing this trend of making Dalgona coffee lately. Dalgona coffee originated from Korea and it is a milk-based drink served with a soft and foamy whipped coffee sitting on top. I wasn't interested in trying it out initially but many people have been giving good reviews on how tasty it is. It is also relatively easy to make. 

 And so here I am...



Make it yourself!


Dalgona coffee recipe(Whipped coffee)

What: Whipped coffee + milk (both cold/hot)
Suitable for: Anyone! Especially if you are a coffee/latte lover.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Servings: 1


Ingredients needed:

1. Instant coffee powder 
2. Milk 
3. Sugar
*All ingredients are readily available in most leading supermarkets/online*



Equipment needed:

1. Whisk/Hand mixer




Here's how we made it:






Directions:

Step 1: Add 2 tablespoons of sugar.

*Don't try to act healthy and cut the sugar. It will fail. I repeat: it will fail without sufficient sugar



Step 2: Add 2 tablespoons of coffee powder. 

I used this instant coffee powder (without creamer or sugar) that I got from Vietnam. Non-coffee drinkers can also substitute with milo/matcha/cocoa powder.



Step 3: Add 2 tablespoons of hot water.


*Note: The ratio of sugar: coffee: hot water should be 1:1:1. 



Step 4: Mix 

Using a hand mixer, start whisking all the ingredients together. Continue mixing until the mixture turned to foamy and fluffy. The whole process took me about 5 minutes. Do it in a cup instead of mixing bowl, it is easier this way.


If you don't have a mixer, not to worry. Use a whisk and find a cup of similar size to your whisk, rub the whisk in between your palms. It takes about 5 minutes using this method as well. Try it!

dalgona coffee alternate whisk method tiktok

This TikTok video from @melliemelanie shows you how to do this!


Step 5: Spoon your whipped coffee on top of your milk

Your whipped coffee should float on top of your milk. You can use cold milk or even warm milk if you like it hot. Amount of milk is up to your preference.


Step 6: Stir and serve!

Trust me, you would like it better after stirring the foam with the milk.


There you go, now you can easily upgrade your daily instant coffee drink. Quick, easy, and only a few ingredients that are cheap and readily available at home/mart.



So... is this worth the hype?

It... tastes like a latte with a sweet-bitter aftertaste. The beaten coffee is both creamy and smooth. 


Would I make this again?

Probably... no... But a dozen others voted otherwise. 
Someone suggested trying this with Nescafe Gold Crema instead of your usual instant coffee powder. 

Try it and let me know your thoughts!





Check back every Sunday for new content  
LIKE our Facebook Page to receive updates | SHARE it with your friends if you find this helpful! 
Thank you!

0 Comments